Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Community Spotlight: Devotay

Devotay at night: Isn't this place adorable??

Just writing the title of this post is making me hungry.  After devoting Wednesdays to looking for the good in food, I can’t believe I’ve made it this long without telling you all about my favorite restaurant (Devotay).  I’d guess it’s probably been a couple years since my friend Laura (or, as you all know her, Chef Laura) started going to Devotay in Iowa City, and she kept telling me how she thought I would like it because they have Spanish food and I had lived in Spain and loved the food.  Well, she was not only right about me liking it---I loved it!  I don’t think it’s even been a year since I first went there, but I have seriously told everyone I know about this place!  Let me explain…

First of all, here is the history of Devotay…and who better to tell it than the owners themselves? So, I just copied and pasted this from their website (www.devotay.net):
Chef Kevin
Devotay began in 1994, as a hobby that paid for itself (well, not really – Chef Kurt borrowed $700 from his mom to start it). Back then, Devotay was making spice blends and infused oils and selling them at the local farmer’s market.

One thing led to another, and soon there was a storefront operation, selling not just those oils and spices, but all sorts of gourmet food items, such as Stonewall Jams and a wide array of hot sauces. There was a refined selection of wines and beers, and many pâtés and fancy foods made on the premises by Chef Kurt Michael Friese.

When customers started requesting catering, Devotay obliged. It did not take much longer for folks to become more interested in the food Chef Kurt was making than they were in the groceries on the shelves. Soon they were requesting take-out sandwiches, then tables, and a restaurant was born from a gourmet shop. The catering went by the wayside, but the restaurant flourished.

12 years later, Chef Kurt was promoted to Chef Emeritus and is concentrating much of his time on his writing career. He serves on the Slow Food USA National Board of Directors and his columns and photos on food, wine and travel have appeared regularly in local, regional and national newspapers and magazines. His latest book, A Cook’s Journey: Slow Food in the Heartland was published in the fall of 2008 by Ice Cube Press. Fear not, though, he and Kim still maintain a firm grip on the reins of the Devotay kitchen.

Today Devotay features a full menu, based on the flavors of the Mediterranean, with occasional influences from other ethnic cuisines. There is a complete wine and beer list, and all of it changes according to the market, the seasons or the whims of Executive Chef Kevin Butler or Chef de Cuisine Daniel Knowles.

Many of the plates, bowls and mugs are made by Kim McWane Friese. Kim is an Iowa City native, and has been a professional potter for 15 years. Kim is a co-owner of Devotay, and she and Chef Kurt have been married for 24 years. They have 2 children, Devon and Taylor (thus the name Devotay). Now that Chef Kurt is pursuing his writing career, Kim is in full command of the restaurant.

Now…why do we LOVE this place so much? For me, I can honestly say that when I’m sitting in there, eating their Spanish-inspired tapas (a small-plate appetizer, usually shared among everyone at the table), if I closed my eyes I would believe that I was sitting in a little bar on a corner in Sevilla, where I lived.  The taste is so authentic, and there are so many dishes to choose from!  As you could guess, I’ll be sharing my favorites with you!

1.       Spanish Tortilla:  This is the most typical tapa in Spain.  Made from eggs, potatoes, and onions, this is basically a super thick omelette, although served cold, and with a creamy aioli on top.  Now, some people are turned off by the idea of cold eggs, but seriously, do not knock it until you have tried it! And especially at Devotay!

The Patatas Bravas..mmmm!
2.       Patatas bravas:  Another typical dish in Spain, this is roasted potatoes with a spicy tomato sauce (don’t be afraid of the word spicy…Spanish food is nothing like hot-sauce filled Mexican food!) and again with aioli on top.  These potatoes are my husband’s favorite item to order…and since he visited me while living in Spain, he can also tell you how authentic the taste is!

3.       Almendras: Spiced almonds.  Need I say more?  This, again, is a very typical dish in Spain, and one that I can not find anywhere else in our area.  Of course, now that I know about Devotay, I won’t be going out for Spanish food anywhere else!



I won’t bore you with the entire menu, but these are some of my favorites, as far as the Spanish food goes.  They also have Spain’s famous dish: paella.  It’s a rice dish, with lots of yellow saffron and filled with vegetables and seafood.  I’m not a seafood-eater, so this isn’t something that I order, but again it’s nice to have a place where you can get the whole Spanish experience!

Aside from the Spanish tapa-inspired dishes, the other items on the menu are just as good.  We have really enjoyed the grilled olives, the marinated grilled crimini mushrooms, and the sourdough bread with garlic oil.  Ohhh…the sourdough bread with garlic oil.  It’s so good that I had to say it twice. And I also order it twice—as in two orders.  If you don’t believe me, ask Laura!  It’s true!

If you live anywhere near the Quad-Cities, you NEED to take a little drive to Iowa City (which also happens to be one of my favorite places) and visit Devotay.  The prices are reasonable, the atmosphere is inviting, and they have a little bit of something for everyone (it’s very vegan/vegetarian friendly, which is important in my family!).  And after you visit, let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering reading this! I think the food was my favorite part of Barcelona, since I love tapas and have now experienced the real thing. Whenever I am back in Iowa, I am making this place a top priority. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rachel,
      my mouth is watering too! and not just for devotay, but also because i'm so jealous that you have been eating the REAL thing in spain! i miss it so much! but yes, you definitely have to get to devotay when you come back...let's make it a date! :)

      Delete